With iPhone Handoff you will start an email on your Mac, Then pick up where you left off on your iPhone. Or edit a document, surf the web on one device, Later continue where you left behind on another device.
iPhone Handoff, Universal Clipboard, Instant Hotspot, and Auto Unlock all are the iOS 10.2 Continuity features. Where you can copy an image on your iPad and use Universal Clipboard to paste it on your iPhone. While Instant Hotspot will provide Internet access to All your other iOS devices, without you having to enter a password or even turn on Personal Hotspot.
Moreover, you can instantly access your Mac when wearing your Apple Watch with Auto Unlock enabled. And quickly pay on your iPhone if you shop on your Mac. And make a phone call, send SMS and MMS text messages from your other iOS devices or Mac computer.
So, iOS 10.2 Continuity will connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch. Thereafter, you will move seamlessly between all your iOS devices. Here I will focus on iPhone handoff.
Which devices, operating system & Apps iPhone handoff is compatible with?
You can use iPhone handoff with Mail, Safari, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Maps, Messages, Reminders, Calendar, Contacts, and even some third-party apps like NYTimes, Airbnb, iA Writer Pro, Wunderlist, Things,…..etc.
Handoff appropriate with these devices and operating systems
- iOS 8 or later
- iPhone 5, 5S, 6, 6Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, 7 and 7Plus
- iPad Pro, 4th generation, Air or newer and iPad mini or newer
- iPod touch (5th generation) or newer
- OS X Yosemite or later MacBook (Early 2015 or newer)
- Mac Book ( Early 2015 or newer, Pro (2012 or newer) and Air (2012 or newer)
- Mac mini (2012 or newer)
- iMac (2012 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Late 2013)
iPhone Handoff is not working, Why?
first, you have to make sure that your devices and operating system meet continuity system requirements as stated above. And all device must use the same Apple ID and be within Bluetooth range ( 10 meter or 33 feet ). in addition, check below list before attempting to use handoff.
- Each device has Bluetooth turned on
- Wi-Fi turned on for all devices
- Handoff turned on
So, 5 Conditions you must meet for Handoff to works probably. Also, please that note It may take a few seconds or more for the app to launch and your work to transfer from device to another. As Handoff use Bluetooth to make sure that all device are physically close ( to protect your privacy ). While date exchanged between your device through wifi or via iCloud.
How to turn on Handoff for iPhone, Mac, iPad, or iPod touch and Apple Watch.
- For Mac: Choose Apple menu → System Preferences. Navigate to General then Select “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices.”
- For Apple Watch: Go to Apple Watch app on your iPhone, then tap General → turn on Enable Handoff.
Note: Apple Watch works with handing off from watch to iPhone only.
- For iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: got to Settings → General → Handoff, then turns on Handoff.
How to use Handoff on your iPhones?
For instance, If you commence browsing Safari on iPhone. Afterward, you would like to continue on another iPhone or your Mac. Then you simply follow the steps below. And this would be the case for any Apps that works with Handoff like Maps, Mail, reminders, …… as stated earlier.
- Open Safari App on your iPhone and start browsing the internet.
- Now if you will switch to your Mac. Then click the Safari icon in your Mac Dock and continue from where your stopped
- If switching to another iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. So you have two options.
- If you’re on the Lock screen, you will see Safari icon on the bottom left. Then touch the app icon. and swipe up. Continue with Safari where you left on the first iPhone.
- If you’re not on the Lock screen, Then double-click the Home button to activate multitasking. Now you will see safari app banner at the bottom. Or Swipe left from the Home screen card to see the safari Handoff card.
iPhone Handoff is one of the iOS 10.2 Continuity features, which allow you exchange data between your iDevice compatible with Continuity system requirements. Amoung iDevice using same Apple ID. And physically exists within the Bluetooth with Wif on.
SO, you can start a task like writing an email on iPhone and continue work on another iDevice like mac book or iPod touch. Handoff is also available for Apps like Safari, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Maps, Messages, Reminders, Calendar, Contacts, and even some third-party apps like NYTimes, Airbnb, iA Writer Pro, Wunderlist, Things,…..etc.